Join AARP for Just $1/Month the First Year + Get $5 Cash Back
Even though AARP stands for “American Association of Retired Persons,” you don’t actually have to be retired to join their popular membership program (anyone 18+ can join!) They have over 38 million members, so you know they’re doing something right.
Let’s go over all the membership perks so you can decide if you want to join for instant benefit access!
What is AARP?
AARP is America’s largest nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing Americans’ quality of life. Their mission when they were founded in 1958 was to “empower people to choose how they live as they age.”
They advocate for national and state issues like Social Security, Medicare, high utility rates, etc. You’ll start getting invitations to join when you’re age 50+, but anyone 18+ can join the AARP membership program that’s packed with benefits, which we’ll explain further below.
The first annual membership with auto-renewal is just $12, plus you get a 2nd membership for free. As a TSW promo, you’ll also get $5 cash back just by joining!
What Types of Benefits Are There?
With the number of perks the AARP program has, you’ll quickly earn back the annual membership price if you partake in a couple of their discounts.
- Save up to 15% at restaurants (average $450 savings a year)
- Save up to 20% at hotels (average $175 savings a year)
- Save up to $65 per company ticket with select airlines
- Save 30% on car rentals (average $105 savings a year)
- Save $50 per cruise ticket with select partners (average $100 savings a year)
- Members get 1 free book annually (valued at $17)
- Members get a free resume review
- Members get access to free fitness webinars
- Free hearing test by phone
- Free online movie screenings
- Prescription discounts for the whole family
- and more!
Two Memberships for the Price of One
AARP provides a free 2nd membership, so your spouse, partner, or family member that lives in the same household can benefit from one membership price.
Members get 25% off their first year, totaling $12 on automatic renewal. The standard membership price starting the second year will be $16. Still, you’re getting two memberships for the price of one!
How to Get $5 Cash Back
The Smart Wallet readers can participate in a promotional offer where they can join AARP for just $12 a year and get $5 cash back. Essentially, you’ll only be paying $7 for the year with the cash back savings.
So what are you waiting for? You could be saving hundreds a year for yourself and a family member!